Saturday, June 27, 2009

"When is your BABY a Toddler?"



The realization that my 'baby' isn't really a baby anymore has been a gradual one. The big 1st birthday- was when i first starting questioning "Does this mean he is not a baby anymore?"
Choosing to stay in denial -I put that thought aside, and continued thinking he could very well still be-afterall it was practically yesterday I gave birth to this walking, talking, growing boy.

But suddenly my son's growing sense of independence has forced me to ask "When does your baby become a toddler?"
Then I saw the signs:

1. Being carried-especially in public- is for babies

2. Holding mommy's hand while walking anywhere-especially in public- is for babies

3. Kisses-especially in public- are for babies

4. Any help with eating -especially in public- is for babies

5. "No,no,no"- complete with a vigorous head shake for added emphasis is a new favorite word

6. Doing something he knows he shouldn't be just to hear me say "NO" is a new favorite activity

7. But the undeniable sign that your baby isn't a baby anymore is-
The Tantrum: A full body protest characterized by a high pitch squeal, arching back, and body throw to the ground (or any nearby surface whether hard or soft); a classic sign that your baby is now a Toddler- especially in public!

So yeah, although I do still call him baby, my Lukey is a toddler -but even with the loss of babyhood, this age is an exciting one. Everyday continues to bring excitement and pride as I watch his spirited energy and neverending curiosity spark so much learning and wonder. The time I get to spend with him during this stage of his development is priceless, and I am so grateful.